YES. All things cinnamon and sweet and gooey and crumbly have come together. This has by far been the most tricky recipe I have tried to create. I wanted to create cinnamon rolls at first and I had a brilliant idea of how I could do that however, after some trial runs and testing it was just not happening for me. SO I turned this into ooey gooey cinnamon sticky rolls that are rich and decedent, free of animal products and gluten, and feel like a really indulging dessert but totally not frowned upon if you eat it for breakfast so therefor = SUPER WIN.
It is a bit tricky to figure out because the dough here is made with almond flour which is very light and very not dough like at all. It is finicky but totally worth it. Not only is it made with simple and healthy ingredients, it`s actually very filling. Now, there is a lot of natural sugar due to dates and maple syrup and I know people tend to worry about high natural sugars but even if it is more, natural is better than processed and this is a very rich treat!
This does take a bit more time and effort than most of the things I concoct but I was pretty impressed with how it came out! If you guys try out this recipe out tag my social media in it or comment down below if you enjoyed it or are having any trouble with it! Also subscribe to my emails if you want to see more yummy recipes and maybe even a real cinnamon roll recipe. (If I can perfect it 🙂 )
Ingredients for the CruMbLy Roll Layer:
- 1.5 cups of Almond Flour (I used this one)
- 3 tbs pure maple syrup
- 2.5 tbs melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 ish tsp cinnamon
Ingredients for Delicious FilLiNg: (2 Parts)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight for creaminess)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 ish cups of dates
- Dash on cinnamon
- 2 tbs Peanut butter OR Almond butter
Ingredients for “Frosting”
- Vegan butter MY FAV
- Coconut Sugar
- Left over cashew cream from filling
First thing you want to do is soak your cashews in warm water overnight. This will allows them to blend into a creamy mixture. Also- Preheat over to 325 degrees before you start!
- Combine all ingredients for the actual roll layer in a large bowl and use your hands to mix and incorporate each ingredient until everything is mixed and then mold into a ball in the bowl.
- Place bowl with mixture in the fridge for 10 minutes. In the meantime soak the dates in warm water for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Take bowl out of the fridge and place on a silicon baking mat. Roll out with hands and press into a rectangle about 1/2 inch in thickness. Place back in freezer for another 10 minutes.
- While that is firming up, blend the cashews, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a high speed blender. I used a Nutri Ninja Bullet- worked amazingly. Set this mixture to the side. Separately blend dates, peanut butter, salt, cinnamon and 4 spoonfuls of the date water in a high speed blender to create a thick, creamy filling.
- Take the firmed roll layer out of the freezer and spoon date mixture onto it and then the cashew cream onto the layer. THIS IS THE TRICKY PART. You want to take the silicon mat and lift it to roll the actual dough into what looks like a log. Do this very slowly for the roll dough is crumbly and thin. (but it is possible)
- Once it has been rolled together, bake for 15 minutes at 325 degrees
- When it is done baking you will want to place it in the freezer for a minimum of 45 minutes to allow it to cool and firm up.
- For the “frosting” you will want to take about half (or all) of the left over cashew cream filling and add 1 tbs of vegan butter and 1 tbs of coconut sugar, mix together and melt in the microwave for about 25 seconds.
When you are ready to eat, just slice a section off, top with the frosting and heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds! *Optionally top with chopped pecans.
You will want to store both the sticky roll and frosting in air tight containers for up to a week. This recipe is tricky but oh so worth it. It tastes like the perfect warm and cozy winter treat and the warm frosting is SO GOOD. Side note- the date mixture can be used as a fruit dip as well 😉
Check out this link for my favorite vegan butter and get a coupon! Hello savings and happy baking! Earth Balance Coupon!
Comment below if you like this recipe and more importantly- ENJOY!